Date Published: 29-Jun-2011
THE ongoing saga over the expulsion of Connemara side Micheal Breathnach from the Galway senior football championship looks set to come to an end today, unless the Mountbellew-Moylough club lodges a shock new 11th hour appeal to the Connacht Council of the GAA.
Mountbellew-Moylough have until today (Thursday) to lodge a fresh appeal against a Galway Competitions Control Committee (CCC) decision to reject their original objection and award the qualifier tie to the South Connemara men on Monday night.
But is expected that Mountbellew will accept their defeat after the CCC heard fresh evidence about the eligibility of a substitute who featured for Na Breathnaigh in the contentious fixture on Sunday, May 29.
The CCC had originally awarded the fixture to Mountbellew, overturning the result of the game. Their decision was based on an objection relating to the eligibility of second half substitute Tommy Conneely.
The issue came back to the Galway authority this week after a hearing by the Connacht Council, brought about by an appeal from Na Breathnaigh.
“The decision of the CCC, based on clarification of a number of issues, is that the original objection from Mountbellew-Moylough has been ruled out of order and the result of the game will stand,” said the County Board Chairman, Gerry Larkin.
After the sides had both lost their first round ties, they met in the ‘back door’ qualifiers at Pearse Stadium on May 29, where the Connemara men registered a surprise 1-11 to 0-12 victory over the 2010 county finalists. The win guaranteed their senior status for next year and led to joyous celebrations in Salthill.
But, subsequent to the defeat, Mountbellew sent shock waves through Galway football when the lodged an objection to the CCC, claiming that young Conneely was not eligible to play senior football for the rival club.
Conneely and his family have a long association with the Indreabhan club and Na Breathnaigh were hugely aggrieved by the original CCC decision to award the game to Mountbellew, appealing it to the Connacht Council.
Conneely has played with underage Micheal Breathnach sides for five years, since he was U-14. His brothers and sister have also played for the club. But, because his family play in Camus (home of Na Piarsaigh), Mountbellew-Moylough claimed he needed a specific “permission to play” clearance to line-out at adult level.
The Connacht Council sent the matter back to the Galway CCC last week, asking them to revisit the issue by “reprocessing” the initial objection.
That led the CCC, after hearing further evidence, to declare the original Mountbellew-Moylough objection out of order on Monday night. The CCC awarded the fixture back to the team who had won it on the field of play on May 29.
Mountbellew-Moylough officials were due to meet last night (Wednesday) to discuss their response to the latest CCC decision, which will force them into the relegation play-off series.
“We will have to wait to see what people on the executive committee think, but time isn’t on our side as we would have to have an appeal registered by tomorrow (Thursday),” said club chairman Martin Rafferty prior to last night’s meeting.
Thankfully, the controversy has not impacted on fixtures. The club championship games which were scheduled to take place this weekend have been postponed as a result of the county team’s demoralising defeat to Mayo, in order to allow Tomas O Flatharta’s side prepare for their All-Ireland qualifier showdown with Meath on Saturday week.
Judge adjourns Connemara assault case
Date Published: 08-May-2013
A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.
Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.
The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.
It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.
At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.
Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close
Date Published: 10-May-2013
Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.
The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.
Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.
Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island
Date Published: 13-May-2013
Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.
The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.
Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.
Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.
The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.