Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Boost for Marine Institute as Prince Albert retraces Grace’s Galway steps

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 06-Apr-2011

Prince Albert II of Monaco signed an historic agreement to promote links between the marine institutes in Monaco and Oranmore during his visit to Galway yesterday (Thursday) on the final day of his State visit.

The memorandum of understanding was drawn up by the Marine Institute and the Oceanographic Institute in Monaco to foster an interchange of ideas in marine education, environmental protection, renewable ocean energy, and the ecosystem approach to fisheries management.

The memorandum was signed in the presence of Prince Albert, the Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine Simon Coveney, Marine Institute CEO Dr Peter Heffernan and the CEO of the Oceanographique Institute Robert Calagno.

Afterwards the party took a tour around the research laboratories for 90 minutes and the Prince spoke to many of the 100 staff who had gathered for the visit.

Prince Albert said the agreement would benefit future scientific research for both countries and he welcomed the opportunity to visit the institute in Oranmore, which was still relatively young.

The internationally recognised Institut Océanographique last year celebrated its 100th birthday.

“If we can provide a little support for various programmes…and exchange date we are thrilled to do so,” he remarked to reporters outside the impressive national headquarters in Renville.

Minister Coveney said the visit supported the development of shared links in a range of activities on the marine in both Ireland and Monaco. As honourary chairman of the Institut Oceanographique and grandson of its founder, Prince Albert obviously shares the family passion for the sea.

“We look forward to a fruitful collaboration between our two organisations in raising awareness of the very real issues that face us in the years ahead," he stated.

See full story and photographs in this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending