Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Body of Connemara man assaulted in Australia to be flown home

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The body of a Connemara man, who died after being assaulted in Australia, is to be flown home to his native country tomorrow.

23-year-old Thomas Keaney allegedly received a blow to the head outside a food outlet in Northbridge, Perth on December 17th.

Thomas Keaney was rushed to hospital, where his condition initially improved, however he later died in hospital in Perth with his parents at his bedside.

He had travelled to Australia a year previously and had been working in a bar.

22 year old Abbas Al Jrood appeared at Perth Magistrates Court today via video link, charged in connection with the assault and was reportedly granted bail.

Thomas’ body will be flown into Dublin tomorrow night.

He will then be returned to his family home in Murvey, Roundstone where the house will be private until 2p.m. on Wednesday.

He will then be removed to the church at Moyrus, Roundstone for mass on Friday at noon before being laid to rest in Gurteen cemetery.

 

 

Breaking News

Galway Simon warns of serious challenges this year

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway Simon Community is expressing concern over the challenges that lie ahead for the charity this year.

It says it has “deep concern” over what will happen when the moratorium on evictions is lifted and the true economic impact of Covid-19 unfolds.

It adds that while a decrease in those living in emergency accommodation last year is welcome, there’s been no decrease in numbers seeking help from the charity.

Galway Simon supported 614 households across the west during 2020, including 681 adults and 416 children.

CEO Karen Golden says many challenges lie ahead this year…

To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news….

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Portiuncula Hospital has country’s third highest number of patients waiting for beds

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe has the third highest number of patients waiting for a bed today.

That’s according to figures from the INMO, which show there are currently 23 people at the hospital on trolleys or in wards.

University Hospital Limerick has the highest figure at 30, followed by Cork University Hospital at 24.

Meanwhile, there are currently 8 people on trolleys at University Hospital Galway today.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Concerns raised over capacity issues at Portiuncula Hospital Ballinasloe

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Concerns have been raised over capacity issues at Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe.

Roscommon/Galway TD Denis Naughten has questioned the Health Minister, Stephen Donnelly, about the hospital’s ability to deal with current surge of COVID-19.

In June, Deputy Naughten contacted the former Health Minister Simon Harris seeking funding to develop two separate modular buildings to segregate and deal with both COVID and non-COVID patients at the facility.

In response to the concerns raised by Deputy Naughten, Minister Stephen Donnelly has said he will revert to his questions with a note as it refers to a specific capital build and refurbishment project.

In a statement to Galway Bay fm news, the Saolta Group confirmed there are six critical care beds in the hospital.

As part of the hospital’s COVID-19 escalation plan, two additional beds can be immediately escalated in response to a sudden increase in patient volume and demand for hospital care and resources including ICU beds, staff and equipment.

If required in the third stage of escalation, a further 5 ICU/HDU beds can be brought on stream.

It adds that enabling works are underway to prepare the site for the new 50 bed ward block which will provide 50 single en-suite rooms, while work is also underway to move the outpatients department to a new modular building which is due to be operational by the end of February.

Deputy Naughten argues Portiuncula is the only acute model 3 or model 4 hospital in the country that did not secure additional beds to cope with the surge in Covid infections.

He says the notes needed now from Minister Donnelly are those sanctioning the funding to provide actual beds in the hospital to deal with the current situation – for more, tune in to Galway Bay fm news on the hour…

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending