Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Bin customers still owe Council €360,000

Dara Bradley

Published

on

The local authority could get ‘stung’ for a bill of up to €360,000 from former bin customers since the service was privatised.

When Galway City Council privatised the bin service back in 2013, amid controversy and opposition, it was owed some €708,000 from customers, according to Head of Finance, Edel McCormack.

Since then, she said, the amount owing was reduced to €390,000 by the end of 2014; and that amount was further reduced in the first few months of this year through the recoupment of some €30,000 in outstanding bin charges.

Though the former City Council bin customers were now being serviced by private bin operators, they still owe roughly €360,000 in historic bin charges.

“We’re pursuing all outstanding money,” said Ms McCormack this week.

She was responding to queries from City Councillor Frank Fahy (FG), who asked if the legacy debt would be pursued.

“We sold the service for €500,000 or €550,000 and I just want to make sure that we recoup this money that is owed, otherwise the amount we sold it for will turn out to be pittance,” said Cllr Fahy after the meeting.

He said since privatisation there has been an increase in the level of illegal dumping in places such as Menlo.

In 2012, it cost the Council €4.5 million to operate last year with an income of €2.8 million leaving them with a shortfall of €1.7 million, which includes €500,000 to cover the waiver scheme for 2,400 households.

When a private operator entered the market the number of Council bin customers had fallen from 22,000 nine years ago to just under 11,000 in 2012, of which about 20% are non-paying waiver customers.

Connacht Tribune

Connacht Tribune tributes to loved ones

Avatar

Published

on

These past few months have seen so many communities left to silently mourn family members and friends, whose funerals they would have attended in such numbers, were it not for the current Covid-19 restrictions.

But those that are gone have not been, and will not be, forgotten – which is why we want to open the pages of the Connacht Tribune to you to tell their stories.

If you’ve lost a loved one, whether to Covid-19 or not, or if your community or organization or sports club is mourning the death of a valued member and friend, you can email us your tribute and we will publish it in our papers.

CONNACHT TRIBUNE OBITUARY TRIBUTE

All you have to do it to click on the above link, and it will take you to a short set of questions which you can fill in – and then add whatever you feel tells the story of the life of your friend, family member or colleague.

You can email that with a photograph to us, to news@ctribune.ie or you can post it to ‘Obituaries’, Connacht Tribune, 21 Liosban Business Park – and please enclose a contact number in case we have any queries.

We sympathise with anyone who has lost a loved one at this awful time, particularly given that so many people were unable to mourn with them and their family in person – and we hope that this will help in some small way to show those family members that we are all united in grief, even from a distance.

This is an additional feature we are providing alongside our long-established weekly Family Notices section where loved ones are remembered immediately by Months Mind Notices and annual anniversary remembrances.  You can contact our team for further details at salesadmin@ctribune.ie

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Gardaí seek help in locating missing man

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

Gardaí have sought help in locating a man missing in Galway since the end of December.
34-year-old Luke Davoren was last seen in the University Road area on December 30.

He is described as having fair hair, 6ft in height and having an athletic build. He was last seen wearing a grey hoody, brown leather jacket, blue jeans and brown leather boots. He also had a black back pack in his possession.

Gardaí and Luke’s family are very concerned for his welfare and have urged him to make contact.

Anyone with information, particularly any road users with dash cam footage of the Newcastle/University Road areas between 1am – 2am on December 30, is asked to contact Galway Garda Station on 091 538000.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

‘Daredevil’ swimmers are a fatality waiting to happen

Francis Farragher

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – ‘Daredevil’ winter sea swimmers who dive or jump into the water in places like Blackrock during adverse weather are putting their own lives at risk – and possibly those of rescuers – by their actions, it was warned this week.

Water Safety Ireland have cautioned that the biggest single contributor to drownings in Ireland is what is known as ‘cold water shock’ – a condition caused by the sudden entry into a cold body of water.

There is now growing concern that a copycat trend is emerging with young people – without wet suits – diving or jumping into the sea in stormy or icy-cold weather.

Several people have been filmed on social media in the sea at Salthill during storms – with a number of them taking ‘running jumps’ off the diving tower at Blackrock.

Roger Sweeney, Deputy CEO of Water Safety Ireland, told the Galway City Tribune that people jumping into the sea during storms showed at best a reckless disregard for their own safety and in a worst-case scenario represented ‘a fatality waiting to happen’ for the jumpers – or the persons trying to rescue them.

“Jumping into cold water puts you at risk of cold shock which can result in immediate incapacitation and doing so in storm conditions can make it difficult to get back out of the water safely and promptly before hypothermia sets in.

“Hypothermia leads to the cooling of the muscles needed in the arms and legs to stay afloat. Drownings typically happen when someone over-estimates their ability and under-estimates the risks,” said Mr Sweeney.

Galway Lifeboat Operations Manager, Mike Swan, told the Galway City Tribune, that the key thing for all people who enjoyed the water and the sea was to carefully plan their exercise or hobby.

“Cold water shock is a real danger at this time of year for all swimmers. Be prepared – have your cap, ear plugs, mats, woolly cap [after leaving the water] and towels all in place. Check the weather forecast and check the tides – and never, ever just jump straight into the water during the colder season.”

(Photo: Diving into the water at Blackrock during Storm Bella in December)
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending