Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Farming

BDGP now losing 150 applicants every day

Published

on

A fusion of colour just before sunrise as the morning light peers through a magnificent ash tree against the backdrop of Knockroe Hill in Abbeyknockmoy last Tuesday morning.

THE exodus of farmers from the BDGP scheme (Beef Data and Genomics Programme) continues to grow over the past week with almost 1,400 farmers now having withdrawn after initially getting in.

By the middle of last week, the withdrawals total had reached 1,340 and was continuing to rise, according to senior IFA representatives.

Fears continue to grow for the viability of the scheme unless key changes are implemented, relating primarily to penalty claw backs and the six year duration of the programme.

Connacht IFA chairmen and livestock representatives met with Dept. of Agriculture officials in Roscommon last week in an effort to try and press the case for changes in the scheme but already there are fears that it may be a case of ‘too little too late’.

“Almost five months to the day since the scheme was announced, this was the first time that Department officials have come outside the M50 to meet farmer representatives in the West,” said Connacht IFA Regional Chairman, Tom Turley.

He said that while there were many details and changes they were seeking in relation to the star ratings of heifers and the genomic testing regime, two major issues needed to be addressed.

“Sadly the scheme has not been a well thought out one. The six year commitment is simply too long while the regime of clawback penalties is just a massive disincentive for farmers to either join or stay in the scheme,” said Tom Turley.

He said that in the meantime, the only advice he could give to BDGP farmers was to attend the upcoming information meetings being organised that would be attended by Dept. officials.

“I would say to farmers not to make up their minds one way or another until they go to those meetings. Tease out any concerns you have, get all the information you can, and then make up your minds,” said Tom Turley.

He said that ‘so be it’ if the scheme had to go back to Brussels to be amended. “It is better to have a delayed scheme that works than a bad one that will never achieve the purpose for which it was intended,” said Tom Turley.

The scheme that was introduced on June 5 last attracted a total of 29,531 applications but Minister Simon Coveney confirmed to Deputy Denis Naughten last month that by September 21, there had been 724 withdrawals from the scheme.

However nine days later on Wednesday, September 30, Dept. of Agriculture officials confirmed to IFA representatives at their meeting in Roscommon that the withdrawal figure had almost doubled to 1,340.

Connacht Tribune

Anger as factories continue to chop lamb price

Published

on

Stephen Canavan: No reason for price cuts.

THE meat plants have been accused of trying ‘to make a fast buck’ on the backs of sheep farmers with lamb prices now back by a euro per kilo, as compared to just over a month ago.

Farm leaders have said that the factories are trying ‘to tough it out’ before more finished lambs begin to come on the market over the next month or so.

Galway IFA Chairman,  Stephen Canavan, told the Farming Tribune that there was no good reason for the chain of factory price cuts over the past five weeks or so.

“All the information we are getting is that the supply of finished lambs is still quite limited but the factories have obviously taken a decision to cut now, before the number of finished lambs increase through the Autumn.

“It’s just another example of the meat plants trying to make a fast buck at the expense of the primary producer at a time when input costs for farmers have never been as high,” said Stephen Canavan.

Lamb prices are this week hovering at the €6.50 per kg mark – down from a high of over €7.50 per kg in late June, equating to a price drop for farmers of around €20 per lamb.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Extended dry spells and some heavy downpours were all part of the menu

Published

on

Brendan Geraghty

A WET end to June . . . a golden spell in mid-July . . . and a serious downpour on the first day of August, were the main talking points of our 2022 Summer season of weather so far.

While June was slightly wetter than average in many West of Ireland locations, July was quite a dry month with an exceptional spell of weather from July 2 to the 19th.

August though really began with a bang as weather stations across the West of Ireland recorded rainfall amounts of around an inch (25.4mms.) on Monday last, the Bank Holiday.

Rainfall in the Athenry Met Éireann station on Monday was 22.6mms which came on top of another downpour last Saturday when 18.6mms. of rain fell there.

However, that pales into insignificance as compared to the 47.5mms of rainfall recorded at the Newport Furnace weather station in Mayo on Monday – the wettest place in Ireland.

Newport also had a bad rain month in June with 148mms. of rainfall as compared to the 79.4mms. recorded in Athenry for our sixth month of the year.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Farmers are willing to play their part on climate change strategy but they need support

Published

on

Jack Chambers TD, Government Chief Whip and Minister for Sport; John Finn, Galway IFA National Council Delegate; Minister of State and East Galway TD, Anne Rabbitte; Stephen Canavan, Galway IFA Chairman; and Cllr. Michael Connolly (FF) at their meeting in Caltra last Friday to discuss the issue of proposed reductions in emissions from agriculture.

FARM leaders in the west have hit out at campaigns in the national media and in some political circles to try and ‘demonise’ farmers in the debate on agricultural emission reductions.

According to western farm leaders, there was a real commitment by farmers across the country to play their part on the whole issue of climate change, but they had ‘to be supported and not castigated’.

A decision on the agriculture emissions reduction target for farmers between now and 2030 is expected to be taken at Cabinet this week with the crux of the issue now resting on the percentage cut – a range of between 22% and 30%.

While almost every TD and Senator across the country had been lobbied on the issue by the IFA and other farming organisations, it now seems likely that the ‘cuts percentage’ will now be a Cabinet decision.

Last Friday, Galway IFA Chairman, Stephen Canavan and IFA National Council Rep. John Finn met with Government Chief Whip, Jack Chambers (a Galway native) and Minister of State Anne Rabbitte in Caltra to discuss the proposed emissions cuts.

“I would have to say that we did get a fair hearing from Minister of State Anne Rabbitte and Chief Whip, Jack Chambers – they do understand where we’re coming from, and they do accept our willingness to play our part in the whole climate change agenda.

“But this is an agricultural agenda being driven by Minister Eamon Ryan and the Green Party and we need our rural TDs and Senators to take a stand on this issue.

“It also seems to me that the national media are hell bent on driving a rural-urban divide agenda in trying to demonise farmers who are more than willing to play their part in reducing emissions,” Stephen Canavan told the Farming Tribune.

He said that all ‘the good stuff’ farmers were doing in relation to emissions reductions such as low emission slurry spreading (LESS), the planting of trees and hedgerows, their role in wetlands, the use of protected urea, as well as the introduction of additives in feed and slurry, were not being factored into the whole equation.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending