Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Battle-weary Ballinasloe fail to handle a tough schedule



Ballygar's Eric Walsh tries to break away from Alan Caulfield of Ballinasloe during the County Junior 1 hurling final in Loughgeorge last Thursday. Photos: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

Ballygar 2-16

Ballinasloe 0-10

A slow start from Ballinasloe proved too difficult to recover from as Ballygar ran out comfortable winners of the County Junior 1 hurling title on a cold Thursday night in Loughgeorge to book their place in the Connacht final less than 48 hours later

Playing a second game in three days, the men in black and amber knew that they would need to start quick if they were to make any sort of impact, but Ballinasloe would fall five points behind after just six minutes while a fortuitous goal late in the half helped Ballygar build a nine point lead at half time, an advantage they never looked like losing.

Coming in fresh having played their semi-final over a week ago, Ballygar came out of the blocks strong, Eric Walsh sprinting from midfield and into the corner to win a free which Pierce McDonagh duly tapped over. Subsequently, Diarmuid O’Brien would intercept the resulting puck out before setting up Adrian Gavin to slot home a goal and open a four point lead inside four minutes.

O’Brien’s interception was a sign of things to come as his side would make seven throughout the first half, making it hard for Michael Fogarty’s side to get the ball into scorable positions, instead having to endure attack after attack putting even more pressure on what must have been already tired legs.

When getting away from their markers Ballinasloe were causing problems early on, impressive angled runs from Craig Keighery and Jack Dillon leading to Keighery opening his side’s account after seven minutes, while Dillon would win a close range free for Cormac Casey to tap over.

In defence, Ballinasloe were working extremely hard to keep Ballygar at bay, in particular Joseph Dervan was getting in blocks and hooks in the corner in an area their opponents had targeted.

Four more scores in quick succession from Oisin McConn, Conal Greally and two McDonagh frees put further daylight between the sides, before Ballygar took a commanding lead on 25 minutes courtesy of a fortuitous goal as a long range effort from McConn dropped into the back of the net to leave Brian Hanley’s side 10 points up.

Ballinasloe were left to feed on scraps but did manage to grab two more points late on from frees courtesy of Casey, but were left with a mountain to climb in the second half, trailing by 2-8 to 0-5 at half time.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and  county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Connacht Tribune

‘Give even one big GAA game to Ballinasloe’



It’s the most centrally located ground in the country but Ballinasloe’s Duggan Park won’t host a single inter-county match this year – much to the annoyance of one local councillor who wants the GAA to allocate at least one big game to the venue.

Cllr Michael Connolly told a meeting of Ballinasloe Municipal Council that the ground is entitled to host major football and hurling fixtures – even though all but one of the Galway footballers’ home league games are assigned to Pearse Stadium with the other one in Tuam.

“If they gave us one match in Duggan Park, it would be something,” he said. “But at the moment, it seems as if it is being ignored.”

The Moylough councillor described it as the most accessible ground in the country and a venue in which players and supporters like to travel to – unlike, he suggested, Pearse Stadium.

He said that it was “a hateful venue” and few GAA supporters relished the prospect of travelling to the “far side of the city” to watch a football or hurling match.

A recent meeting in Gullane’s Hotel to discuss Duggan Park was attended by Deputy Denis Naughton, Senator Aisling Dolan, Cllr Evelyn Parsons and Cllr Declan Kelly among others.

But the Duggan Park Committee then issued a statement saying that the ground is owned by Galway GAA and any use of the facility needed to be authorised – and no authorisation was given to the meeting organiser, former Mayor of Ballinasloe Joe Kelly, for this purpose.

Mr Kelly has been a staunch campaigner for the redevelopment of Duggan Park and has called on the local authority to row in behind this initiative.

They went on to say that there is a plan in place for the development of Duggan Park which is multiple staged which started with the new dressing rooms, flood lights and a new entrance to the venue.

Planning permission is in place for this development and that €500,000 has already been spent in the Duggan Park over the past number of years carrying out these projects.

The work in the ground, they say, is done to an excellent standard by local contractors with the support of the previous Town Council for grants and sports capital grants.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Former tourism magnet officially on register of derelict sites



The fire-ravaged hotel that was once one of the most popular in the county is now officially considered a derelict site – and that has led a local councillor to call for it to be either redeveloped or levelled.

Portumna’s Shannon Oaks Hotel, for so long popular with anglers and golfers in particular, has been boarded up for more than a decade since it was destroyed by fire.

Local councillor, Jimmy McClearn, has called on the owners to reopen or sell the property – adding that it should either be levelled or redeveloped.

“We are a tourist town and we need a hotel. The last thing we want is for a hotel to be shut up,” he said.

“It is a fine facility and on an extensive site so there is no reason why it should be boarded up,” he added.

The Shannon Oaks saga has gone on for the past twelve years – but now the owners, the multi-millionaire Comer brothers, will be forced to pay a derelict site levy if they do not reopen or redevelop.

That amounts to a seven per cent levy based on the market value of the property, which is worth around €1 million even in its derelict state.

The Shannon Oaks was ravaged by fire in September 2011 and four years later, the site was acquired by the Comer Group who, at the time, gave an undertaking that it would be reopened.

Around two years ago, planning permission was granted by Galway County Council to Barry Comer of the Comer Group to renovate the hotel by providing 60 new bedrooms along with 40 apartments to the rear of the structure.

However, there has been little or no movement on the site since then and now the owners are being again asked to give some indication as to when the hotel will be rebuilt.

It is considered an integral part of the tourism industry for the town and that is why pressure is mounting on the owners to rebuild the hotel.

Cllr McClearn said that all he is asking for is the owners to develop the site and provide a hotel there. “It’s not much to ask in a tourist town,” he added.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

More than €200,000 worth of cannabis seized in East Galway



More than €200,000 worth of cannabis was seized in during two separate search operations in East Galway on Saturday.

Gardai from the Divisional Drugs Unit conducted a search at a residence in Aughrim and seized cannabis plants with an estimated street value of €146,000 and €20,000 worth of cannabis herb which will now be sent for analysis.

Two men (both in their 30s) were arrested at the scene in connection with the investigation and are currently detained at Galway Garda station under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act, 1996.  Both men remain in custody.

A separate search was carried out at a residence in Ballinasloe yesterday afternoon and cannabis herb with an estimated street value of €35,000 was seized. Cannabis jellies and €7,510 in cash were also seized.

A man in his 40s was arrested and later released without charge and a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads