Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Barry does it again as Utd pull off surprise away win

Published

on

CABINTEELY FC    0

GALWAY UNITED 1

Daire Walsh in Stradbrook

CONOR Barry’s sublime first-half strike helped Galway United to record a superb and unexpected victory over Cabinteely in the SSE Airtricity League First Division at Stradbrook last Friday night.

This was the Tribesmen’s first league win in all of 13 games – dating back to a May 17 success at the expense of Longford Town. Alan Murphy’s men had to dig deep at various junctures in the play, but ultimately held out to claim the scalp of the south Dubliners.

Following the previous Sunday’s morale-boosting FAI Cup win over Collinstown on the far side of the Sky Blue city, Galway were always likely to keep changes at a minimum. First-choice attacker Vinny Faherty, however, was ruled out through injury, leading to a significant reshuffle in the United starting line-up.

Marc Ludden was promoted in his place and was deployed – along with Christopher Horgan – as a wing-back in a rigid Galway defence. Conor Melody was pushed further forward, while Barry and Stephen Christopher offered additional support in the final third.

In a lively start to the contest, both teams enjoyed their fair share of possession. Barry broke at pace into the Cabinteely half and looked to pick out the galloping Maurice Nugent on the right-flank.

However, the retreating opposition rearguard cut out his attempted pass and proceeded to increase the pressure on the Tribesmen as the first-quarter progressed. The pacy Yuta Sasaki was combining to good effect with Robert Manley, albeit the Galway defence largely held their own.

Paul Fox’s low effort forced a save out of Galway’s Kevin Horgan, before Cabinteely were subsequently left stunned on 19 minutes. Barry was the match-winner for Galway in last week’s victory at Whitehall and he once again produced a magic moment for the visitors.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

CITY TRIBUNE

Council officials branded ‘ignorant’ after reneging on circus agreement

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A circus branded City Hall in Galway ‘ignorant and arrogant’ after a spat over access to public space.

Circus Gerbola criticised Galway City Council for limiting the days its big top was permitted in Claude Toft carpark in Salthill and for reneging on an agreement.

The touring troupe said that last January, it provisionally booked the carpark from August 4-21. In early July, the Council emailed the circus and said it would be limited to seven days only.

Event Producer Jane Murray said she then secured a verbal compromise to rent the carpark for 10 days, including two weekends. But then the Council contacted the circus again and insisted that the site could be used for seven days only.

“I wouldn’t call them clowns because I think it would be an insult to clowns and generations of clowning. They were just extremely ignorant and arrogant. They were so unempathetic,” fumed Ms Murray.

They then scrambled to find alternative accommodation, in Kinvara, for performances today, Saturday and Sunday.

The third planned week has been moved to Conamara. From next Monday, the big top moves to Fíbín theatre company grounds in An Tulach, Cois Fharraige, for a series of events.

A Council statement said the matter was discussed at length internally.

“The carpark in question is relied upon by locals and tourists alike for parking, particularly during the busy tourist season. The best compromise in this situation was to permit the circus to take over full use of the car park for seven days. We do envisage complaints/representations from locals at being prevented from using this car park for a full week,” it said.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Residents call on Galway City Council to tackle burning of rubbish

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Local residents have called on the authorities to tackle the problem of an ongoing illegal dump in the Castlegar area with the rubbish being burnt off on a regular basis.

A particularly intense fire was set off in the Bruckey area on Tuesday afternoon last with black smoke billowing from the blaze – forcing local people to close their windows and doors.

According to one local resident, even the Fire Brigade couldn’t access the blaze which eventually burnt itself out over the following days.

“This has been going on for the past four years and we have made several overtures to the City Council on the issue as well as contacting the Gardaí, but nothing is being done about this.”

He said that the land being used as dump and fire site was rented and added that those burning waste were ‘a complete law onto themselves who did whatever they liked’.

(Photo: the fire burning on Tuesday)

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Councillors ignore Transport Authority recommendation on estate access

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A submission by the National Transport Authority (NTA) – seeking to restrict new access points along the Western Distributor Road to ‘cyclists and pedestrians’ only – has been defeated at a City Council meeting.

Councillors voted 12-4 to reject the NTA submission presented in the draft Galway City Development Plan (2023-29) which sought to prevent new access points being provided for vehicular traffic.

The NTA in their submission said that their proposal was aimed at ‘protecting investment in public transport’ and in ‘facilitating sustainable travel’.

In his response to the submission, City Council Chief Executive, Brendan McGrath, said that the Council did not want any further restrictions to be put in place.

Councillors Niall Murphy (Green Party) and Colette Connolly (Ind) had proposed the acceptance of the NTA submission in order to improve access for cyclists and pedestrians.

Senior Planner with the Council, Caroline Phelan, said that there was a substantial bank of land in this area (off the Western Distributor Road) and the objective was to be able to access zoned land.

Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind) said that if land in such areas was prevented from being developed by a lack of access, it would have major implications for industry, jobs, housing and schools. “We have to allow access,” he said.

(Photo: The ‘Kingston Cross’ lands on the Western Distributor Road which were earmarked for a commercial and residential development anchored by Tesco and Decathlon: An Bord Pleanála previously ruled access points would be a traffic hazard, particularly when it came to cycling infrastructure and a bus corridor on the road).

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending