Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Baile An Salsa turn to public for album funds

Published

on

Baile An Salsa

Groove Tube with Jimi McDonnell – tribunegroove@live.ie

With their trad and salsa fusion going from strength to strength, Baile An Salsa play Monroe’s Live on Saturday August 12. Five years after forming in Galway City, this 10 piece band will be recording their second album in September. To finance the project, the band are using the crowdfunding site Fund It for the first time. When the Tribune talks to Baile’s percussionist Brian Ferguson, there is 43 days left for them to get the backing they need.

“We’re two weeks into the launch of it now, we’ve already hit 35% of our target,” Brian says. “Which is great – we’re just about ahead of where we’d like to be right now. We’re happy about that, we’re brightly optimistic so far!”

Baile An Salsa have pulled off an impressive feat in securing the services of Costa Rican producer Walter Flores, whose skills in the studio have won him five Grammys.  That came about through the efforts of bandleader and singer Andres Martorell.

“Andres made contact with Walter, and asked if he’d heard of us. Not only had he heard of us, but he was very excited about the project. It was right up his own street, and he offered then and there and said ‘I’d love to get involved.’ It was a shot in the dark, just a phone call.”

“ I have to hand it Andres, he’s a man of ambition and vision,” Brian adds. “His motto is often ‘if you want to do well, work with the best.’ That’s exactly why he contacted Walter Flores in the first place, he didn’t really expect him to come onboard – but that’s how it happened.”

So the studio is booked, the producer is hired and Baile An Salsa are off to the Philadelphia Folk Festival – which is five days after their Galway gig. It’s all go for them, at the moment.

“We feel ready now,” Brian says “When you put together something like this, especially when you get involved with fusions, your initial instinct is to superimpose one genre on top of the other and see what happens. That’s what we did initially, we knew the Latin drumming would work with certain reels in trad music.”

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune

You’re A Star winner’s single shows she still shines brightly

Published

on

Lucia Evans...new release showcases her vocals and her songwriting.

Groove Tube with Cian O’Connell

Even now, when Lucia Evans’ name is mentioned, many still remember her as the 2006 winner of RTÉ’s You’re A Star – the TV talent show that garnered millions of views and, at the time, encapsulated the nation.  An outstanding vocalist and performer, the Galway-based artist has accomplished a broad and dynamic career since, collaborating with the likes of Sharon Shannon and Brian Byrne, and throwing herself into projects onstage.

What has been missing in the last decade of Lucia’s work is a catalogue of original material – but that is set to change.

This Friday, she releases Holding Onto the Fire, a piano-based ballad that showcases the power of her vocals as well as a vulnerability in her songwriting. It is a daunting step for someone who has largely shaped the creative visions of others in her work.

Lucia embarked on a writing project in 2019 and this single will see that effort come to fruition. The track itself dates back to 2020 so it has been on her mind for a long time.

“It’s just different,” she says of releasing her own work. “I suppose, with other projects, you’re taking somebody else’s baby on board and you’re really trying to get underneath the composer or visionary’s skin to see exactly what they’re trying to convey, and you do your best to do that.

“When it’s your own creation, I think the attachment is an awful lot deeper. There’s a degree of separation between yourself and a creation when you’re brought into something. When you’re the creator, it is a part of you.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Hard to tackle housing crisis with nebulous vacancy stats

Published

on

Taoiseach Micheál Martin...disputing vacancy stats.

World of Politics with Harry McGee

There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics – which can make it really hard to get a handle on how many vacant homes there are in the State.

According to census data, from the Central Statistics Office there are 180,000 of them. However, that figure has been contested; GeoDirectory data puts it at 90,000.

Then several local authorities have done their own studies of their own. In one pilot study of three local electoral areas, Dublin City Council looked at 213 homes. It confirmed that 49 of those were vacant and only 16 were confirmed long-term. That was ten per cent of the total.

During the week the Oireachtas Housing Committee published a report on urban renewal – with some very powerful recommendations. What is of more interest is its findings.

One of the witnesses, architect Mel Reynolds, estimated there were 137,000 homes vacant based on census figures. While the committee did not adopt that figure, the media certainly ran with it.

We reported that a vacant home tax would be applied to 137,000 homes throughout the State – and the Government took issue with that. It contested the 137,000 figure, with even Taoiseach Micheál Martin saying it was too high.

The Department of Finance is now completing a report with its own estimate of vacancy. It’s basing its figures on the returns for the Local Property Tax. We can conclude that the extent of vacancy is far lower than 137,000.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway husband and Roscommon wife cheer on different sides of Connacht Final fence!

Published

on

Galway supporter Michael Bradley and his wife Roscommon supporter Siveen Bradley in Ballinasloe this week. Pic Gerry Stronge

The Bradley family in Ballinasloe have divided loyalties ahead of this Sunday’s Connacht senior football final between neighbouring counties Galway and Roscommon.

Mike Bradley, from Ballinasloe town, is a ‘stone mad’ Galway GAA fan – but his wife Siveen is from Newtown, a village three miles over the border and will be very much shouting for the Rossies.

Her nephew is Paul Carey, a rising star of Roscommon GAA, and already a legend in the Pádraig Pearses club, who could torment the home team’s defence at Pearse Stadium if he’s recovered from injury and if he’s fit and picked to play.

Though he may not feature this weekend, the 21-year-old Carey made his senior inter-county debut this season during Anthony Cunningham’s march to Division Two League success; and landed eight points for Pearses in the South Roscommon club’s first ever provincial title win in January.

Siveen, a sacristan in St Michael’s Church, and Mike, a caretaker in Canal House, live on Bridge Street and they’ll watch the provincial decider at home on television – because she could not handle the nerves of watching it live in Salthill.

“I watch the matches on telly or listen on the radio. The only reason I don’t go to the matches is I’d get too excited! I wouldn’t be able to deal with it. Even when it’s on the telly I’d be turning it off and on and texting my sister have they won because I couldn’t watch! I’m fierce bad,” laughed Siveen.

Her daughter, Siobhán, a Galway supporter, is married to a Mayo man, Seán Vahey, who live in Castlebar.

“As bad and all as I am I have a daughter married to a Mayo man! I’m up against it,” joked the proud Roscommon woman.

Read full coverage ahead of the Connacht Football Final in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now – or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending