Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Armstrong injury blow for footballers

Published

on

Date Published: 16-Jun-2011

 FRANK FARRAGHER

GALWAY will be without the services of Salthill’s Sean Armstrong and Michael Meehan for their Connacht semi-final clash with Mayo on Sunday week next in Castlebar – although the Caltra clubman does have a chance of making an appearance at some stage in McHale Park.

Armstrong aggravated the old hamstring injury last Sunday morning that has dogged his footballing career and looks set to be out of action for the next four to six weeks.

At last though, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for Meehan, who has been dogged by injury for the past 14 months. He suffered a serious ankle injury in the championship defeat to Sligo last July in Markievicz Park and since then has done everything possible to get back playing, but a combination of ankle and knee problems has meant that he has barely kicked a ball since.

However over the past week, the Caltra man has managed to put in some football time on the pitch without any repercussions so he could feature on the bench in Castlebar but he definitely won’t be starting. His return to action will be warmly welcomed by football fans not only in Galway but all over the country.

Galway had an encouraging one point win over Cork in Ennis last Sunday and although the All-Ireland champions were missing a half dozen first choice players, it was by all accounts a very positive performance from Galway.

A number of under-21s have been introduced to the panel with Milltown’s Mark Hehir a likely starter on the ‘40’ against Mayo in a forward line also expected to contain Gareth Bradshaw, Cormac Bane, Padraic Joyce, Paul Conroy and Eoin Concannon.

The starting midfield pair will be Finian Hanley and Joe Bergin with goalkeeper Adrian Faherty likely to be fronted by Alan Burke, Colin Forde, Jonathan Duane, Gary O’Donnell, Greg Higgins and Gary Sice, although the team won’t be finalised until early next week.

Milltown’s Diarmuid Blake has also recovered from injury and is back in full training but one of the midfield stars of the All-Ireland under-21 winning team, Thomas Flynn, has been understandably out of the frame for the past few weeks due to Leaving Cert commitments.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Retail industry trade body welcomes B&Q announcement

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

Retail Excellence Ireland, the country’s largest retail industry trade body, has welcomed the news that 60 jobs have been saved at the city branch of B&Q.

It’s after the home improvements store successfully exited examinership.

Under the scheme, 2.4 million euro is to be invested by parent company Kingfisher plc, and B and Q will continue to trade at eight stores

This means 640 jobs have been saved nationwide, including 60 at the outlet in Knocknacarra.

However, David Fitzsimons of Retail Excellence Ireland says landlords need to be willing to help out smaller retailers too.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Foundation reports nine Galway heart deaths each week

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Nine people die in Galway every week from heart disease and stroke.

That’s according to the Irish Heart Foundation, which is launching its Happy Hearts Appeal today. (9/5)

An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, launched the appeal today to help raise funds for the charity, which has seen increasing demand on its patient services.

The Foundation says it needs to raise at least half a million euro to maintain existing information services.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Call to tackle delays at Oranmore rail crossing

Published

on

Date Published: 13-May-2013

Concerns have been raised over traffic delays at the railway crossing in Oranmore.

Councillor Jim Cuddy says he has received many representations from local motorists who have been experiencing extended delays.

He says the closed barrier can sometimes cause a traffic tailback as far as the roundabout near the Maldron hotel.

Cllr Cuddy has brought the matter to the attention of Iarnrod Eireann and has asked for an explanation as to why the crossing is closed for so long.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending