Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Appeals Board approves pop-up restaurant in shipping containers

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

A local businessman has won an appeal to An Bord Pleanála to allow a new pop up restaurant be built in shipping containers in a vacant city centre site.

The appeals board overturned a City Council refusal for the new business, which will be similar to those in the Southbank Centre in London.

Last February, Daragh Mullin sought permission for a period of three years for the shipping containers at Number 19 Forster Street – a vacant site since the demolition of the building in 2012 on safety grounds.

The Council said that while the use of the site as a restaurant would be acceptable in principle, the use of shipping containers would “perpetuate the under-utilisation” of the site and the hap in the city centre, describing it as a “poor quality structure” and would contravene the City Development Plan.

It was also noted that there is a proliferation of cafés and restaurants in the area.

Mr Mullin, who operates Carroll’s bar and the Crust Bucket on Dominick Street, expressed frustration with the planning process in his appeal to An Bord Pleanála, pointing out that in initial planning meetings with the City Council, there were no objections raised.

The appeal went on to note that the site is part of the ‘Odeon’ portfolio owned by the Comer and McHale families, which will be developed into the new Eyre Square East Quarter.

“First and foremost, it is of critical importance to point out that the subject site forms part of a wider urban landholding which has undergone significant site assembly over the last decade.

“It is envisaged that this quarter of the city, known as Eyre Square East, will be the subject of significant urban regeneration and redevelopment in the future.”

The Board said there was “no clear and substantive understanding” from the Council’s refusal on how the City Development Plan would be contravened.

It was also noted that a temporary pop up restaurant would not impede the proposed redevelopment of the eastern side of Eyre Square. The Board did not accept that there is a proliferation of cafés, restaurants and take-away businesses.

They added that with quality materials and finishes, there would be an enhancement to the streetscape and that there was no significant potential for concern that a precedent would be set.

The Appeals Board approved the plans for a period of three years, and ordered that the full details of finishes and colours “which shall be in a mute shade” be agreed with the City Council, and that the take-away cannot be operated separately to the restaurant.

Drawings with the planning application indicates the name is ‘Vochos’, the nickname for the Volkswagen Beetle in Mexico.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and  county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway City publican in heroic River Corrib rescue

Francis Farragher

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A city publican who last week helped save the life of a woman who had entered the waters of the Corrib off Wolfe Tone Bridge has made an appeal for young people to ‘look out for each other’.

Fergus McGinn, proprietor of McGinn’s Hop House in Woodquay, had been walking close to Jury’s Inn when he saw the young woman enter the river.

He then rushed to the riverbank on the Long Walk side of the bridge, jumped into the water, spoke to the woman and stayed with her until the emergency services arrived.

The incident occurred at about 3.45pm on Friday last, and a short time later the emergency services were on the scene to safely rescue the woman.

“She was lucky in that the river level was very low and she didn’t injure herself on the rocks and stones just under the water.”

He also appealed to the public to support in whatever they could the work being done by groups like the Claddagh Watch volunteers.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Pubs face court – for serving booze on their doorsteps!

Dara Bradley

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Gardaí have warned city publicans that alcohol cannot be served outside their own premises – even in newly-created on-street spaces designated by Galway City Council as suitable for outdoor dining.

Councillor Mike Crowe (FF) said three Gardaí visited a number of city centre pubs on Thursday afternoon informing them that drinking outdoors was not allowed under licensing laws.

“They warned publicans and restaurants that the area outside their premises is not covered by the licence, and therefore under national legislation, they are breaking the law, because they are not entitled to sell alcohol in non-licensed areas.

“The operators were told that this was an official warning, and they will be back again in a few days and if it persisted, they [Gardaí] would have no option but to issue a charge and forward files to the Director of Public Prosecution. You could not make this up.

“All of the big operators were visited, and received an official warning, and they will be charged if they persist. According to the guards, they’re getting instructions from [Garda headquarters in] Phoenix Park,” he said.

The matter will be raised at a meeting of the Galway City Joint Policing Committee on Monday.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Call for 50% affordable homes in new Galway City Council estates

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The next Galway City Development Plan should include a greater provision for affordable housing than that recommended by Government, a meeting of the City Council has heard.

Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind) told the meeting that while it was the Government’s intention to introduce a stipulation that new estates should have 10% affordable housing, Galway should go further – building anything up to 50% affordable in developments that are led by the local authority.

The Affordable Housing Bill, which is currently working its way through the Oireachtas, proposes that all developments should have 10% affordable and 10% social housing as a condition of their approval.

Affordable housing schemes help lower-income households buy their own houses or apartments in new developments at significantly less than their open market value, while social housing is provided by local authorities and housing agencies to those who cannot afford their own accommodation.

The Council meeting, part of the pre-draft stage of forming the Development Plan to run from 2023 to 2029, was to examine the overarching strategies that will inform the draft plan to come before councillors by the end of the year and Cllr McDonnell said a more ambitious target for affordable housing was absolutely necessary.

“It must be included that at least 50% of housing must be affordable [in social housing developments],” he said.

This sentiment was echoed by Cllr Eddie Hoare (FG) who questioned if the City Council was ‘tied down’ by national guidelines, or if it could increase the minimum percentage of affordable housing required locally.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending