Date Published: 18-Apr-2011
By CIARAN TIERNEY
Another attempt will be made to load the two ill-fated former Aran islands ferries onto a Danish cargo ship on Thursday following yet more drama at Galway Harbour over the weekend.
The arrest of the Thor Gitta on Thursday, preventing it from leaving the harbour, was followed by another failed attempt to load the Clann na nOileain and Clan Eagle 1 ferries onto the ship on Saturday afternoon.
An attempt to lift the Clan Eagle 1 onto the deck of the Thor Gitta was suspended shortly after 2pm on Saturday. The ferry was lowered back down into the water after an alarm sounded on one of the ship’s 60 metre high cranes.
Technicians were assigned to examine the cranes and the ship’s captain decided to halt the operation even though mariners and divers had been working since dawn to fit slings around and under the two ferries.
A fourth attempt to load the ferries onto the ship was postponed yesterday.It is understood the ship’s captain has requested stronger straps for the cable, despite sourcing new straps from the Netherlands last week.
“The attempted lift will now take place on Thursday and I think they are getting new straps in to load the boats,” said the CEO of the Galway Harbour Company, Eamon Bradshaw, yesterday.
The Admiralty order, resulting in the arrest of the ship, was lifted on Saturday afternoon and the Thor Gitta is now free to sail out of the harbour – once it can hoist the two ferries on board.
Last Thursday week, three men were injured when one of the ferries plunged into the docks from a height of about 12 metres (40 feet) after a cable snapped on one of the cargo ship’s cranes.
That accident occurred a week after another huge cargo ship, the German registered Pantanal, ran aground on rocks near Rossaveal after it was also deployed to the West of Ireland in order to pick up the two ferries.
Read more in today’s Connacht Sentinel
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.