Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

ANOTHER GALWAY ROAD DEATH AFTER THREE WEEKEND DEATHS

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 30-Jul-2007

A motorcyclist died last night [mon jul 30] in the Ballinasloe area bringing the number of people killed on Galway’s roads yesterday to four.

A 36 year man died when his motor cycle lost control and crashed at approximately 11.45pm at Sralea, Ballinasloe.

The man was taken to Portiuncla Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Meanwhile, three other areas of Galway are in mourning today following separate week-end road crashes which claimed the lives of men in Oughterard, Athenry and Glenamaddy.

An Garda Siochána Ombudsman Commission is investigating the circumstances regarding an off-duty Garda being involved in one of the three fatal crashes in Galway yesterday morning (Sunday).

The off-duty Garda, driving his own vehicle, was involved in the crash near Oughterard shortly before 2am yesterday, in which 53-year-old UK man, Dave Solman who was living and working in the area lost his life.

Dave who was a single man originally came from Sunderland and had been working at the Connemara Gateway Hotel for the past three years.

Meanwhile Barry Kelly a 30-year-old auctioneer from Athenry lost his life at 8am yesterday when the car he was driving crashed at Clamper Park on the Athenry to Craughwell Road.

The third crash victim was discovered when his car was found in a field on the Ballymoe side of Williamstown at Carronderry at breakfast time yesterday .

Gardai in Tuam and Roscommon were alerted and 23 year old Gary Keaveney, from Glenamaddy, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Visiting restrictions lifted at UHG following vomiting bug outbreak

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

Visiting restrictions have been lifted at University Hospital Galway following an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.

The restrictions had been in place on impacted wards since April 22nd.

Ann Cosgrove, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals says visiting restrictions are now being lifted as the outbreak is considered to be over.

However she warns that there are signs that the Winter Vomiting Virus is still active in the community.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Two men before courts over county grow houses

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.

They appeared before Galway Circuit court.

Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.

In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.

Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.

He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.

He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.

He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

City arthouse cinema granted 200 thousand euro

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 14-May-2013

Galway City Council has agreed to provide 200 thousand euro in funding to the Art House cinema project.

It’s being termed as a final allocation, to be donated over four years, and is subject to the project securing further finance from the Western Development Commission.

The decision was made at last evening’s city council meeting where representatives of Solas explained how they are attempting to bridge a shortfall in funding to bring the building to completion.

The City Council acquired the site for the Art House Cinema on Merchants Road at a cost of 1.8 million euro, and donated it by way of long term lease.

Construction has been plagued with difficulties, however it’s now hoped the building will be completed this Autumn, and could be open by early 2014.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending