Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Anna’s hit drama offers caustic view on living with blindness

Avatar

Published

on

Anna Sheils-McNamee and Steve Blount in My Dad's Blind.

The award-winning My Dad’s Blind by Anna Sheils-McNamee will play the city’s Town Hall Theatre next Wednesday, September 11, as part of a national tour.

With a plot that centres on a dysfunctional relationship between a blind father and his sighted daughter, My Dad’s Blind uses audio recordings, irreverent comedy and real-life memories to explore a father-daughter relationship.

The 70-minute show captures the awkward, embarrassing and ridiculous ways in which the two struggle to navigate a sighted world, aided by a guide dog that’s just had a stroke.

Anna Sheils-McNamee wrote this dark comedy based on her own life – her father John is blind.

My Dad’s Blind which is presented in association with Pan Pan Theatre Company, The Arts Council Fighting Blindness and the National Council for the Blind, won Best Production at the 2018 Dublin Fringe Festival Awards.

It stars Steve Blount and the author. Steve’s TV appearances include Game of Thrones, Can’t Cope, Won’t Cope and he has featured in the stage show Minding Frankie. Anna featured on Vikings on the History Channel and The Importance of Nothing with Pan Pan.

The play is directed by Gemma Aked-Priestley.

“Growing up, people told me my Dad was ‘amazing’, which didn’t make any sense to me,” says the author of her decision to write this piece.  In fact, he’s pretty boring, she adds.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

CITY TRIBUNE

Three refused bail on violent disorder charges

Avatar

Published

on

Longford Courthouse

Three men who were arrested this morning as part of a Garda investigation into violent disorder at a funeral in Mervue last year, have been denied bail by a District Court Judge.

Denis Hannafin, Curry; Robbie Hannafin, Corboy, Edgeworthstown and Tommy Hannafin, Dublin Road – all in Longford – were charged with violent disorder in connection with an incident which occurred outside Holy Family funeral home on in January 13 last year.

Detective Garda Ronan Leonard told the court this morning that CCTV footage showed a number of members of the Hannafin family outside the funeral home on January 13, 2019, at approximately 3.15pm, when a number of members of the McGinley family made their way towards them.

An altercation ensued, which resulted in one member of the McGinley family suffering a gunshot wound, while another received a stab wound to the back. A third man suffered acid wounds.

Gardaí explained that there is a feud going on between the two families, which began when juvenile members of the families got into a fight at a pool hall.

Detective Leonard voiced concerns that if the three accused were granted bail, they would commit further offences and intimidate members of the McGinley family.

Judge Seamus Hughes had remanded the three accused in custody to Harristown District Court next Friday, February 28.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Three arrested in investigation into violent incidents outside church

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

Three men will appear in court this morning charged in relation to an number of incidents in Mervue last year. A man suffered a gunshot wound during one of the incidents. 

Gardaí in Longford arrested three males this morning in relation to incidents outside Mervue Church on January 13 last year.

The three males, two aged in their early 40s and the third in his late 30s are due to appear before Longford District Court this morning.

Following a funeral at the church, a man in his 30s received a gunshot wound to the leg and was treated in University Hospital Galway.

A second man in his late teens received a stab wound to the back and was taken to UHG for treatment.

A third man received minor injuries in an assault on Walter Macken Road.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Mice the suspects in University Hospital Galway kitchen closure

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

The Old Nurses’ Home at UHG. The kitchens are to the rear of this building.

The main production kitchen in University Hospital Galway has been closed since last Thursday as a result of suspected rodent activity – with patients and staff being kept in the dark as to the reason food options have been limited for the past week.

The Galway City Tribune understands that kitchen staff were called to a meeting on February 13 to inform them that there was an issue with gas, and as a result, the production kitchen would be closed until further notice.

Following this, staff at the hospital discovered a dead mouse on the premises on Sunday – resulting in the continued closure of kitchen facilities used to feed over 700 patients.

However, the majority of staff have not been officially informed of the real reason the closure had to be enforced – rumours are rife in the hospital with many now aware that it’s as a result of a possible mice infestation.

Eyebrows were raised by staff when it was suggested that an issue with gas supply was at the root of the problem, as the staff canteen in the Old Nurses’ Home has remained operational.

Throughout the week, food options available to patients have become further curtailed – with breakfast limited to cereals, while porridge is unavailable.

Lunches consist of pre-packed sandwiches and salads with tea or coffee, while patients on special diets are being catered for.

The only hot food being made available to patients is being cooked at Merlin Park University Hospital and being transferred across the city by van in evening rush hour.

As a result of this logistical nightmare, patients are receiving their first and only hot meal of the day just before 6pm each evening – anything between 45 minutes and an hour later than normal.

Sources in the hospital told the Tribune that staff from UHG are unable to enter the kitchen at Merlin Park until after 3pm as the kitchen there is run by HSE staff – UHG’s kitchen is run by Aramark, a private contractor.

One staff member who spoke to the Tribune said this incident had highlighted the serious lack of contingency planning in the hospital in relation to the preparation of food – pointing out that if there happened to be a particularly bad traffic snarl up, for example, patients would be left hungry.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending