Galway Bay fm newsroom – An Post is defending its transfer of 31 staff to a new Delivery Service Unit in Loughrea.
Galway East T.D Paul Connaughton says he’s opposed to a move which would see 13 staff from Athenry relocated to Loughrea.
In a statement to Galway Bay fm News, An Post says it’s part of a national programme to improve the efficiency of its mails collection and delivery operations.
According to An Post, postal staff in Loughrea, Kylebrack, Craughwell and Tynagh will move to the new Loughrea Delivery Service Unit at Cottagehill Business Park.
The facility will include a purpose-fitted mails processing operation with customer and staff facilities.
An Post says the move has been fully agreed at national level by the company and union representing staff.
The move to Loughrea DSU will involve 18 postal staff – 13 from Loughrea, 3 from Kylebrack and Craughwell and one each from Woodford and Tynagh.
Early next year, 13 staff currently based in Athenry will also move to the new centre in Loughrea.
An Post says it has been upgrading local mail delivery operations into larger purpose-built facilities for a number of years.
Saolta slammed over “abject failure” to progress new ED at UHG
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Saolta Hospital Group has been slammed in the Seanad over a shocking lack of progress being made on a new emergency department at University Hospital Galway.
The matter was raised by Senator Sean Kyne, who pointed out that then-Taoiseach Enda Kenny told the Dáil in 2015 that the current unit was not fit for purpose.
However, he contended that six years later, it’s been nothing but repeated delays, with the project appearing to be years away from being realised.
He pointed out that a planning application was set to be lodged in late 2018 – yet we’re now in 2021 and an application isn’t even on the horizon.
Speaking in response, Minister Niall Collins acknowledged the situation but was unable to provide an answer as to when an application might be lodged.
Fine Gael Senator Kyne was scarcely able to contain his frustration as he slammed the “abject failure” of the Saolta Hospital Group to progress the vital project.
Galway County Council issues advice on handling of waste bins amid pandemic
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway County Council has issued an advisory to the public on the handling of waste bins during the Covid-19 pandemic.
It says the advice aims to reduce the potential for cross contamination.
It’s asking the public to ensure bins are presented the evening before collection and bin handles to be cleaned with disinfectant before and after presentation.
The local authority also advises that wipes, cloths, gloves and other related items can be placed in the general waste bin.
Dáil hears concerns over access of northern-Ireland fishing vessels to Ros a Mhíl
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Dáil has heard concerns about the limited nature of the access of Northern-Ireland registered fishing vessels to Ros a Mhíl.
The Connemara port was one of five nationwide designated as additional ports for such vessels earlier this month.
However, Galway West Deputy Eamon O’ Cuiv has raised concerns over the ‘restrictive’ access times these fishermen are facing.
He told the Dáil that northern-registered boats are limited to the hours between 10am and 10pm, Monday to Friday.
Fianna Fail Deputy O’ Cuiv argued the necessary staff are present at Ros a Mhíl seven days a week.
Speaking in response, Minister Charlie McConalogue said the situation is being kept under review.
However, he noted that they had to work within the resources and capacity that are available.
For more on this, tune in to FYI Galway@5…