Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Ambulance staff threaten action over ‘Peeping Tom’

Published

on

A ‘Peeping Tom’ senior paramedic, who secretly filmed a female work colleague in the bathroom, has been reinstated by the HSE to an administrative post in Ballinasloe.

Concerns were raised over the 51 year old man’s reinstatement – and his ex- colleagues in the HSE West ambulance service have threatened a work-to-rule.

Cllr Pádraig Conneely, Chairman of the HSE West Regional Forum, asked how the man had been reinstated after admitting harassing a female colleague by recording her activities in a bathroom with his mobile phone.

The man got the Probation Act after the Court heard he had paid his colleague €5,000. He had been suspended from work but was reinstated after an Employment Appeals Tribunal.

The man worked in North Tipperary as an advanced paramedic and since his reinstatement has been transferred to a ‘desk job’ within the ambulance service, in Ballinasloe … both locations fall within the operational area of HSE West.

But HSE executives refused to discuss the matter at a meeting of the Regional Forum on Tuesday, saying it did not fall within the remit of the Forum as per clause 42 of the Health Act 2004.

Cllr Conneely said he couldn’t understand how the HSE was not concerned at having this employee working for them, and especially when his own colleagues were concerned and talking about taking industrial action.

He said a work to rule within the already pressurised ambulance service would affect patients in Galway and elsewhere.

But Bernard Gloster, Acting Regional Director, refused to answer Cllr Conneely’s questions or allow the matter to be discussed.

“We are not going to discuss any private individuals at this Forum,” he said.

Cllr Conneely said it was already a matter of public record because of the man’s court appearance where he was named.

Mr Gloster agreed but added that other matters had been alluded to by the Chairman that were not a matter of public record.

“You are entitled to your opinion, Chairman, but I am not prepared to talk about it,” concluded Mr Gloster.

Connacht Tribune

Help at hand for hand-pressed families this Christmas

Published

on

SVP Galway area President Séamus McManus.

Galway people struggling to cover the cost of Christmas have been urged to seek help from the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul.

The SVP Galway area’s network of 27 conferences is experiencing a surge in requests for help with food, energy and heating bills as the cost-of-living soars – but Galway area President Séamus McManus insisted help was at hand.

“There is hope out there, and there is help available for people in trouble. We might not be able to do everything but we can help, especially coming up to Christmas.

“Imagine a Christmas that is cold and hungry? That would be no Christmas at all, so we have help. We want people to at least enjoy those few days of Christmas,” Mr McManus said.

SVP said it was “deeply concerned” by new Central Statistics Office data which showed a sharp rise in households going without essentials such as nutritious food, adequate heating and clothing; up by 184,000 to 875,000 people nationally compared with 2021.

SVP nationally is getting an average of 800 calls per day, which is up about 20% on last year. This is mirrored in Galway city and county, too, Mr McManus said.

“We’ve had some heart-breaking requests where the main breadwinner had a serious diagnosis and it meant their whole life has been thrown into turmoil; they can’t pay rent, they can’t pay ordinary family living expenses.

“We’ve also had students with mental health issues who have had to pull out of college and lose their SUSI grants and they’re left high and dry. We’ve had people with relationship breakdown, where maintenance wouldn’t be forthcoming and they’re left in a precarious position,” he added.

Get the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now, or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway Professor on taking the reins as country’s top doc

Published

on

Chief Medical Officer, Breda Smyth.

Three weeks after Professor Breda Smyth was appointed Ireland’s interim Chief Medical Officer (CMO), the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Monkeypox outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

It proved a baptism of fire for Tony Holohan’s successor, who already had the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic in her in-tray.

But the Mayo native, who lives in Galway, took it all in her stride.

“It’s a significant responsibility. I am taking it one step at a time,” said the country’s first female CMO.

And in fairness, it’s not like she’s wet round the ears when it comes to strategising for infectious diseases.

Professor Smyth may be best known outside of medical circles in Galway for her traditional Irish musical talents, but she was also the public face of the Covid-19 pandemic as HSE West Director of Public Health.

Through that HSE role, which she held for 13 years, she became a member of NPHET (the National Public Health Emergency Team) that advised Government on how to steer the country through the pandemic; as well as being a member of the Expert Advisory Group on Rapid Testing, and a founding member of the Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group.

That experience stood to her since becoming interim CMO in July, which progressed to a permanent position in October.

Get the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now, or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Former Minister slams ‘rotten and corrupt’ IFI

Published

on

Senator Sean Kyne.

By Dara Bradley

A Galway Senator has slammed Inland Fisheries Ireland as ‘rotten and corrupt’ – and Fine Gael’s Seán Kyne has threatened to use parliamentary privilege to highlight what he labelled as ‘issues of corruption’ within IFI.

Senator Kyne is a former Minister of State with responsibility for natural resources, which encompassed IFI which itself is responsible for the protection of waters, including Lough Corrib. Speaking in the Seanad last Thursday, he referenced a review that was commissioned by the Minister for the Environment, Climate Action and Communications, Eamon Ryan, into the functioning of the board of IFI.

A report by senior counsel Conleth Bradley concluded last July and was sent to the Department and to IFI before being published on November 7.

Senator Kyne said he has read the report, which used legalese to conclude: “There is not a basis, from the alleged disclosures and the information and documentation which have been reviewed, for the Minister to be satisfied that the functions of IFI are not being performed in an effective manner such as to give effect to the removal of all members of IFI from office.”

Get the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now, or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending