The sixth day of the inquest into the death of Savita Halappanavar has now
come to an end at County Hall.
Proceeding have reached a conclusion with reports on post-mortems carried
out on the placenta and the foetus.
Proceedings came to a conclusion this evening with a report from witness
Dr. Michael Tan Chien Sheng, a consultant pathologist in UHG who carried
out the post mortem on the foetus.
He told the inquest he had carried out the autopsy on November 2nd.
He said it was a still born foetus at 17 weeks gestation and incompatible
The inquest also heard from Dr. Frans Colesky who carried out the post
mortem on the placenta.
Praveen left the room for these sensitive reports as previously indicated
by his legal team.
This morning, Expert witness Dr. Peter Boylan told the inquest that had
Ms. Halappanavar had a termination on the Monday or Tuesday of her time in
hospital, it is highly likely she would not have died.
However he noted it was NOT a practicable position at that time because of
the law as there was not a real and substantial risk to her life at that
The consultant obstetrician also pointed to a number of deficiencies in
In response to questioning this afternoon, he said the legal position is
guided by medical council guidelines that abortion is illegal in Ireland
except where there is a real and substantial risk to the life of the
mother as distinct from the health of the mother.
He added that obstetricians in Ireland are working to a certain extent in
HSE Senior Counsel Declan Buckley asked if the rarity of this case is a
difficulty visited upon nurses, doctors and right up to consultants – the
expert witness agreed.
Day seven of the inquest resumes at County Hall at 10 tomorrow morning.
It’s hoped a verdict will be reached by Friday.
1491 new cases of COVID-19 nationally
Galway Bay fm newsroom – As of midnight, Wednesday 4 August, the National Public Health Emergency team is reporting 1,491* confirmed cases of COVID-19.
As of 8am today, 193 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 28 are in ICU.
Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said: “Vaccination offers a real way out of this pandemic. The positive news is that take-up in Ireland is extremely high, which shows people understand the benefits for themselves and for their communities of getting vaccinated. Those with at least a first dose in the over 40s is over 90%, in the over 30s it is 84%, in the 18 to 29 year age group it is over 73%, and in the 16-17 year age group, it is over 46%. These figures continue to increase, and each person who has come forward should be commended.
“It’s understandable that after the period of time that COVID-19 has been with us, that some people become tired of it. But the virus does not become tired. It doesn’t care if we are fed up, it only sees the opportunity to spread from person to person when we let our guard down.
“Risk assess your plans this weekend. Remember that if you have any cold or flu like symptoms at all, you should err on the side of caution and stay at home – do not meet up with others, and do not go to work. If you are an employer, remind your employees to continue working from home where possible for now, and not to attend work with any COVID-19 symptoms. Vaccines work, but they must also be supported by us all choosing to act as safely as possible.”
Covid-19 walk-in vaccination clinics to open in Clifden and city this weekend
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Covid-19 walk-in vaccination centres will once again open in Clifden and the city this weekend. (7/8)
The centres are open on Saturday to those aged 16 and over who have not yet received a first dose vaccine.
The Clifden centre is based at Clifden Community School, and will be in operation from 10am to 2pm.
Meanwhile, Ballybrit Vaccination Centre will be open for walk-in appointments on Saturday from 10am to 4pm.
The Saolta Hospital Group says last weekend proved a tremendous success for both centres, with over 800 people receiving first dose vaccinations.
Coming up on FYI Galway@5
- The Health Minister is encouraging parents and young people to seek information from reliable sources as registration for COVID vaccines for 12 to 15 year olds will open next Thursday
- Covid-19 walk-in vaccination centres will once again open in Clifden and the city this weekend
- Partners will be able to attend 12 week maternity scans and C-sections under new HSE guidance to be issued to hospitals tomorrow