A pre-championship boost for improved Liam Mellows


From this week's Galway City Tribune

From this week's Galway City Tribune

A pre-championship boost for improved Liam Mellows A pre-championship boost for improved Liam Mellows

Liam Mellows 1-16

Tommy Larkins 2-12

A game which appeared set to meander along to an inevitable conclusion produced a dramatic finish as Tommy Larkins almost forced extra time in this Division 2 hurling league final at Kenny Park.

Liam Mellows led this contest by seven points early in the second half and were still four up after 58 minutes. Given the fact that Tommy Larkins only scored 1-4 from play on the day, those advantages felt decisive for the city side.

But, a contest which for three quarters will not live long in the memory for the healthy crowd who descended on Athenry, exploded into life during the dramatic closing stages.

A Jason Flynn goal started the late fireworks as the the inter-county forward latched onto a long range Eanna Murphy free before rifling home. There was a hint of controversy surrounding the awarding of the goal with the referee’s whistle arriving as Flynn prepared to shoot for goal. Flynn was certainly fouled but after a lengthy consultation, the goal was awarded.

This cut the deficit to the minimum and as those in attendance were not made aware of the injury time that would be played, there was an unknown that made the final stages dramatic. Eanna Murphy levelled up the contest with a booming placed ball but Morrissey struck what proved to be the winning score in the 62nd minute when he held his nerve after Ed O’Reilly was fouled.

Yet the drama was only beginning. Flynn hooked an effort wide before Liam Mellows won ruck ball and put the sliotar dead in the fifth minute of injury time. The city side’s bench incorrectly assumed the final whistle had been sounded as they ran onto the pitch only to realise silverware had not yet been secured.

Tommy Larkins were on borrowed time as Flynn somehow secured possession from a Murphy restart but with four men surrounding him, he was forced to release possession with Conor Kavanagh securing the sliotar for Mellows.

Pictured: Cian Daniels of Tommy Larkins on the move against Liam Mellows’ Barry Forde during the senior hurling Division Two League Final at Kenny Park. Photo: David Cunniffe.


More like this:

Sign Up To get Weekly Sports UPDATES

Go Up