Galway Bay fm newsroom:
4 thousand people around Galway have closed their pandemic unemployment payment in the last week as the country begins the final week of Phase 3 of lifting restrictions.
18,800 people are still claiming the support in Galway, down from 22,800 last week.
Nationally, There’s been the largest drop in the number of people claiming the pandemic unemployment payment since it was established.
67,000 who were claiming the payment across the country last week are now back to work.
More than 345,000 people will be get the pandemic unemployment payment today at a cost of more than 100 million euro to the state.
But that’s significantly down on last week – with 67,300 fewer people seeking the PUP.
That’s the largest decrease since the payment was set up.
Social Protection Minister Heather Humphreys said it’s welcome news.
She also hinted that the pandemic payment may be extended beyond its expiry date of August 10th.
Minister Humphreys is also bringing a memo to cabinet this afternoon that will address a hole in the legislation that meant anyone on the payment was not building up PRSI contributions.
This could have impacted their entitlements to maternity, paternity and illness payments as well as their pensions.
Legislation is being drafted to ensure all people on COVID support payments will continue to accrue social insurance contributions.
NUIG to make student timetables available by end of month
Galway Bay fm newsroom – NUI Galway is to finalise timetables for students by the end of the month as the university prepares to reopen.
The university received guidance on the reopening of third level in recent weeks and is now examining the roll-out before the September reopening.
NUIG President Professor Ciarán Ó hÓgartaigh says feedback has found students are keen to have an in-person experience as well as the online mode of learning.
First year students are expected to begin on campus on September 28th with an induction process likely to take place the previous week.
Professor Ó hÓgartaigh says there will be an on-campus experience as well as online learning while adhering to public health guidelines….
City Hall opens book of condolence following death of John Hume
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway city council has opened a book of condolence following the death of John Hume.
The remains of the former Nobel peace prize winner will be removed from his home in Donegal to Saint Eugene’s cathedral in Derry this evening.
Mr. Hume passed away in the early hours of yesterday having suffered from Dementia for some time.
He was awarded the freedom of Galway city in 1999 in appreciation for his work in the promotion of peace and reconciliation in Northern Ireland.
A funeral mass will be held for the 83 year old tomorrow in accordance with public health guidance.
A book of condolence will be opened at City Hall this morning and will remain open until Friday afternoon.
Galway West TD Eamon O’Cuiv told Keith Finnegan on Galway talks John Hume did a lot for the country – often against the odds….