Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

38,000 ‘no show’ patients costing hospitals €3m

Published

on

WELL over 38,000 people in the Galway/Roscommon area failed to turn up for outpatient appointments last year – many of them at UHG and Merlin Park Hospitals.

 

The ‘stay away’ patients ended up costing the HSE over €3m in lost time preparing for the appointments – now a new campaign has been launched asking people to either turn up, or else tell the hospital in advance that they can’t make it.

A dedicated call centre has now been set up to deal with outpatient appointments for UHG, Merlin Park, Portiuncula in Ballinasloe, and Roscommon Hospital, with the call centre telephone number included in all letters sent out.

During 2012, a staggering 38,341 patients didn’t turn up for appointments at the four hospitals and didn’t let the hospitals know in advance that they wouldn’t be coming.

Tony Canavan, Chief Operating Officer, Galway and Roscommon University Hospital Group said that one of the main priorities for the Hospital Group this year was to radically reduce the length of time that patients had to wait for an outpatient appointment.

He said that work had started on this at the end of last year, with the carrying out of an extensive validation exercise on the waiting list that was now complete, with appointments arranged first for those waiting the longest.

“Last year, it cost us €3,067,280 in lost time preparing for appointments for patients who did not turn up. We are asking patients to help us reduce the waiting times – turn up or tell us if you can’t,” said Tony Canavan.

Last year the Galway/Roscommon Hospital Group arranged a total of 327,585 appointments but only 289,244 of those turned up – the current waiting list for  the hospitals stands at 36,067.

 

 For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.

CITY TRIBUNE

Elective surgeries cancelled at UHG as overcrowding continues

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Some non-urgent elective surgeries are being cancelled at UHG in a bid to tackle severe overcrowding at the city hospital.

It follows the issuing of a warning from the Saolta Hospital Group that the emergency department is extremely busy and there is ongoing pressure on bed availability.

General Manager at UHG, Chris Kane, says over 500 people presented at the hospital on Monday and Tuesday.

She says the overcrowding situation is very serious, particularly in relation to the ED, the Surgical Unit and the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.

Members of the public are urged to only attend the hospital in the case of emergency, and contact their GP or out-of-hours service if their health problem is not urgent.

Saolta is also reminding the public that the Injury Unit at Roscommon University Hospital is open from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, to treat adults and children over 5.

Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Chris Kane said the current level of patients presenting is extremely high and “unusual” for this time of year.

She also noted there’s also been a rise in patients being treated for Covid-19, including in the ICU.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway rowers aim for Olympic gold!

Published

on

Best of luck to two Galway rowers – Aifric Keogh of Aill an Phréacháin in Na Forbacha, and Fiona Murtagh from Gortachalla in Moycullen – who are part of Team Ireland’s Women’s Coxless Fours team who compete in an Olympic final in Tokyo at 1.50am (Irish time) Wednesday.

Coverage on RTÉ 2 television begins from 1am.

Ireland – who were second in their heat after Australia, who set a new Olympic Record – are in lane two, with Great Britain on their outside, and Australia, favourites for a gold medal, in lane three.

The Netherlands, China and Poland are in lanes four, five and six at the Sea Forest Waterway.

Poor weather meant some rowing events were re-scheduled but the Women’s Fours final was not impacted.

Jim Keogh, Aifric’s father, told the Tribune he was hopeful ahead of the final.

“To make the Olympics is tough, to make the final is tough, to make the medal is tougher,” he said.
Photo: Aifric Keogh, Eimear Lambe, Fiona Murtagh and Emily Hegarty.

*Full coverage of the race and reaction in this week’s Connacht Tribune and Galway City Tribune 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Paedophile sentenced to a further 17 months in prison

Published

on

A convicted paedophile, described by a Garda as ‘a prolific child abuser’, has had a 17-month prison sentence added to a 13-year sentence he is already serving for the rape and sexual abuse of children.

Disgraced primary school teacher and summer school bus driver, 69-year-old Seosamh Ó Ceallaigh, a native of Tuirín, Béal a’ Daingin, Conamara, had at all times denied two charges of indecently assaulting a ten-year-old boy at a Gaeltacht summer school in Béal a’ Daingin in 1979.

The offence carries a maximum two-year sentence.

A jury found him guilty by majority verdict following a four-day trial at Galway Circuit Criminal Court last month.

At his sentence hearing last week, Detective Paul Duffy described Ó Ceallaigh as a prolific child abuser who had amassed 125 child abuse convictions, committed while he was a primary school teacher in Dublin and while he operated an Irish language summer school in Beal a’ Daingin.

They included convictions for rape and sexual assault for which he is currently serving sentences totalling 13 years.

Those sentences were due to expire in August 2024, but last week, Judge Rory McCabe imposed two, concurrent 17-month sentences on Ó Ceallaigh, before directing the sentences begin at the termination of the sentences he is currently serving.

The judge noted Ó Ceallaigh’s denial and lack of remorse and the lifelong detrimental effect the abuse had on the victim as aggravating factors.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending