A large number of deadly firearms – guns and bullets – were stolen in Galway over a period of four years, the Galway City Tribune can reveal.
Scores of shotguns, rifles and cartridges and rounds of ammunition remain unaccounted for after they were reported stolen to Galway Gardaí.
The cache of guns that were stolen in separate incidents since 2010, include dangerous weapons such as single-barrel shotguns, under and over shotguns, semi-automatic shotguns, pump action shotguns, bolt action rifles, lever action rifles, as well as air rifles and imitation guns.
The stolen guns were both licensed and unlicensed. Cartridges, bullets and ammunition were also reported stolen.
The figures, which relate to the years 2010 to 2014, reveal that there were 21 incidents reported to the Galway Garda Division of guns and ammunition having been stolen in Galway.
The number of guns that were reported to Gardaí to be stolen in the 21 incidents totalled 33 firearms.
A breakdown of the figures reveals that 10 guns were reported stolen in seven incidents in 2010.
Five guns were reported stolen as a result of three incidents in 2011.
There were five reported incidents in 2012, with six guns stolen. There were nine guns stolen in four incidents in 2013. And last year, two guns were stolen in two separate incidents.
During those years, a handful of incidents in which cartridges and ammunition were stolen, were also reported to the Galway Garda Division.
Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald disclosed the information to Fianna Fáil, and said that a total of 1,109 guns were reported stolen from licensed owners in Ireland in the past five years.
That figure included 826 shotguns, 276 rifles and seven handguns. About 600 guns that were stolen were not licensed, meaning the total number of stolen guns was 1,710.
Minister Fitzgerald said: “The figures relate to licensed and unlicensed firearms stolen over the period, including those stolen from firearms dealers. The information is from the Garda PULSE system . . . The total figure for firearms stolen of 1,710 between 2010 and 2014 includes 483 items in the category of ‘other’, which includes humane killer, starting gun and blank firing gun.”
Community fights back on hospital ‘downgrade by stealth’
Raw emotion, sadness and some anger filled the air at Clifden Town Hall on Sky Road last Sunday afternoon as a shaken community gave honest, personal accounts of the impact the closure by stealth of Clifden District Hospital would have on the people of North Connemara.
The public meeting was hastily organised after fears emerged on Friday that the HSE may transfer respite services from Clifden to Merlin Park Hospital, 50-plus miles away in Galway City.
Families were told their loved ones in Clifden Hospital may have to move home, or go to Merlin Park the following Monday, due to ‘issues with staffing’.
An axe has hung over Clifden Hospital for some years, but this latest move stirred the community to fight back to retain services locally.
Galway County Councillor Eileen Mannion (FG), who organised the public meeting with Senator Sean Kyne, said 625 people signed the attendance sheets and an estimated 650 people attended.
“The community effort spreading the word was unbelievable; the turnout was unbelievable,” she said.
“It wasn’t just anger; it was raw emotion in the room. Sadness. Family members spoke about the calls they got on Friday. The feeling that their elderly person was being rejected; that they weren’t being respected.
“One man stood up, three years waiting for respite care for a family member, and then to be told after a few days in there that she’d have to be taken home or to Merlin Park.
“We’re 50 miles from Galway. If there’s no traffic you might get to the outskirts in an hour but with the traffic in Galway, you could be another hour to get to Merlin Park. Not everyone has transport either and they’ve to rely on buses.
“A young woman stood up at the meeting and said her dad was dying in Galway. And she had to go to Saint Vincent de Paul to get money to pay for a B&B so that the family would be close to him when the end came. People gave their personal stories, and it was just heart-breaking.”
(Photo by Carmel Lyden: Teresa Conneely from Roundstone addresses people at the public meeting in Clifden Town Hall).
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read extensive coverage of the Clifden Hospital story, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.
Pilgrim took to his feet to realise dream!
Clifden man Breandan O Scanaill, who is on a pilgrimage from his home town of Clifden to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, received a Mayoral welcome and a memorial crest when he arrived at the Asturian town of Navia last week.
Breandan, whose walk from his home outside Clifden to the reputed burial place of St James in Santiago, began in April, was walking through Navia in Spain when a local man came over to chat to him.
“He asked me about my journey and was interested in the fact that an Irish man had turned up in the town,” says Breandan, who had been admiring the Chapel of San Roque at the time.
The local man outlined the history of the building and the town to Breandan and they began chatting more generally about history and architecture – topics dear to the pilgrim’s heart.
Breandán’s new friend introduced himself as the Mayor of Navia, lgnacio Garcia Palacios, who invited the visitor from Clifden to visit the Town Hall.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.
Local Property Tax rate to stay unchanged despite Council chief’s plea
Councillors have agreed to keep the Local Property Tax (LPT) rate unchanged – despite pleas from management that Galway County Council is predicted to spend at least €22 million more than it brings in for the next two years.
County Chief Executive Jim Cullen had recommended an increase of 15% on the LPT rate for 2023 and 2024 – amounting to €2.1m extra in the coffers annually – which would bolster its case when it came to pleading for a greater share of funding from central government.
In an estimation of income and expenditure for the Council, taking into account “unavoidable” expenditure and income changes set to hit, the Council would run a deficit of €9.04m in 2023 and 13.2m in 2024 – well over €22m unless there was a change in finances.
“I am hopeful of an uplift in baseline [funding] levels . . . we cannot continue to ignore the fact that other councils have raised LPT and their citizens enjoy a better standard of services that in Galway,” he stressed.
He told a meeting this week that €9m would be needed to maintain services next year at the same level as 2022. This was due to significant cost increases given that inflation is reaching 9.6% currently. Pensions, gratuities and payroll increases from the national pay agreement, increments and additional staff were all adding to bigger outgoings.
Without that extra funding, it will be necessary to reduce spending by that amount with a negative impact on service and staffing levels, he said.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the story, including the councillors’ discussions, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.