Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us


€250k needed to send Grace to hospital in US



A fundraising drive has begun in earnest to send an eight-year-old girl battling an aggressive cancer for the third time to America for a clinical trial.

Grace Kenneally from Tirellan Heights is currently on a short break during her third round of chemotherapy. A scan in April will determine whether the nueroblastoma tumour has shrunk sufficiently to allow medics to operate. That procedure is so rare she will have to travel to the UK where a specialist has had some success with removing tumours that close to vital organs.

However, a family friend, Jennifer Fahy Ainsworth, said it was now increasingly likely that Grace would have to be accepted onto a clinical trial if she was to avoid yet another relapse.

Any American trial would likely cost in the region of €250,000.

“Graces’s mam Ethna was reluctant to do any fundraising. She’s on her own and was totally focused on getting Grace better. She didn’t have the headspace to think about money. Nobody thinks you should have to think about money when it comes to your child’s life,” explained Jennifer.

“But we now face the situation that if we don’t raise this massive amount of money Grace might not have the best chance there is to survive this.”

Coffee mornings, a live gig in Monroes and other events have so far raised €18,000.

Jennifer is spearheading their biggest fundraiser yet in the form of a dinner dance at the Westwood Hotel on May 2.

Grace was originally diagnosed with Stage 3 Neuroblastoma in September 2010. She was treated with chemotherapy and surgery for six months but she relapsed in January 2012. A more rigorous regime followed in the form of stronger chemo, radiation and Cis-Retinoic acid, an oral chemo which ended in February 2013.

Following severe pain in her back, Grace was admitted to University Hospital Galway with suspected appendicitis. Further tests revealed that the tumour, which appeared stable in a scan on October 1, had doubled in size.

While there are no survivors of relapsed neuroblastoma in Ireland, Ethna has come across several children in the US who continue to live despite four and five relapses.

Grace is aware the tumour has grown. She had only just returned to a normal childhood over the summer following the removal of her medical tube, learning to ride a bike, mastering swimming, camogie and the trampoline.

For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.


Galway family’s light show adds magic to Christmas



From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The Carrick Family Light Show returns tonight (Friday) as 70,000 lights are illuminated in aid of a worthy local charity.

The man behind the lights spectacular, James Carrick, says test runs this week have proven successful and the family is ready to mark another Christmas in style.

“This is our fourth Christmas doing it. We started in 2019, but Covid was around for the last two years so it will be great this year not having to worry about that so much,” says James, who has spent the last few weeks carefully rebuilding the show at his home in Lurgan Park, Renmore.

He’s added “a few bits and pieces this year” – his brother buying the house next door has provided him a ‘blank canvas’ to extend.

Over the past three years, the show has raised almost €30,000 for local charities and James hopes to build on that this year – offering the light show for free, as always, and giving the opportunity to donate if people wish to do so.

The show runs nightly from 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday, with an extra kids show on Sundays at 5pm at 167 Lurgan Park (H91 Y17D). Donations can be made at the shows or by searching ‘idonate Carrick Family Light Show’ online.

Continue Reading


‘Chaos’ for Christmas as Martin junction works delayed again



From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Motorists attempting to get into Galway are facing a nightmare before Christmas as continued delays to the works at the Martin roundabout create traffic chaos on the east side of the city.

Anger over the controversial project to remove the roundabout at Galway Clinic intensified this week as the completion date was pushed out to February – nearly a year after works began and six months later than the supposed deadline.

Local councillor Alan Cheevers (FF) told the Galway City Tribune that he had lost all confidence in the Transport Department in the City Council and hit out at their “outsourcing the problem” to private contractors.

He said despite repeated representations from him, the local authority was refusing to take responsibility for the bedlam caused by the works, which he said had resulted in “three minor collisions in the last five weeks”.

“The bottom line is that this has been an absolute shambles and I’ve lost all faith in senior officials in City Hall. When I raised the issue again this week, I was accused of looking for newspaper headlines – they will not take responsibility,” said the City East councillor.

“It’s like an obstacle course up there, and now they’re saying February for completion. I’ve no confidence it will even be done by then – they’re out of their depth. If you look at what they’re saying, they say they’ll be doing the surfacing until February,” continued Cllr Cheevers, anticipating that works could still be ongoing next March or April.

In a statement issued by contractors Fox Building Engineers Ltd and Galway City Council, it was claimed that “supply chain issues” had impacted severely on the project.

Motorists this week reported delays of up to an hour just to travel the short distance from Briarhill Shopping Centre as far as the Doughiska Road-Dublin Road junction, a distance of less than 2km.
This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article,  see the December 2 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading


Councillors rubber stamp ‘temporary’ helipad after nine years in place



The helipad on the former Shantalla pitch.

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The Health Service Executive (HSE) came under fire over the ‘temporary’ helipad serving University Hospital Galway at a meeting to finalise the Galway City Development Plan for 2023-29.

Chief Executive of Galway City Council, Brendan McGrath, made a point of publicly highlighting his dissatisfaction with the HSE, calling on them to urgently “regularise” the planning permission for the helipad.
Speaking on the issue, Cllr Frank Fahy (FG) said that he mistrusted the HSE’s proposal concerning the helipad, saying that previous promises about the site had not been kept.

Currently, University Hospital Galway operates the helipad to transport medical emergencies on Council-owned land in Shantalla – it has been used for past nine years, despite the HSE saying it would be used for six months.

The temporary structure, the busiest helipad in Ireland, transports patients from as far north as Donegal to the hospital.

Councillors voted to change the Galway City Development Plan to provide for a helipad at this location but urged the HSE to normalise the planning permission at the site and to provide compensation to the local community for the loss of a section of the park.

Mr McGrath said that he wouldn’t “wait forever” for the HSE to bring the site in line with the planning laws.

Last month marked the ninth anniversary of when the Saolta University Hospital Group gave a commitment to the people of Shantalla about the public land it borrowed.

Tony Canavan, the then Chief Operating Officer, and now CEO of Saolta, said that the land would be used to accommodate a helipad at the rear of UHG for six months only.
This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article,  see the December 2 edition of the Galway City Tribune where there is extensive coverage of rezoning decisions under the City Development Plan. You can support our journalism and buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads