Galway Bay fm newsroom – There were 13 killings in the Western Garda Division in the first three months of this year, almost double the figure for the previous year.
That’s according to the latest crime statistics from the Central Statistics Office.
It shows that there were also 210 sexual offences reported in the West between January and March.
There were more than 16 hundred attempts or threats to murder, assaults, harassments and related offences in the west.
The biggest number of incidents were related to theft and related offences, totalling more than 5 thousand.
Saolta slammed over “abject failure” to progress new ED at UHG
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Saolta Hospital Group has been slammed in the Seanad over a shocking lack of progress being made on a new emergency department at University Hospital Galway.
The matter was raised by Senator Sean Kyne, who pointed out that then-Taoiseach Enda Kenny told the Dáil in 2015 that the current unit was not fit for purpose.
However, he contended that six years later, it’s been nothing but repeated delays, with the project appearing to be years away from being realised.
He pointed out that a planning application was set to be lodged in late 2018 – yet we’re now in 2021 and an application isn’t even on the horizon.
Speaking in response, Minister Niall Collins acknowledged the situation but was unable to provide an answer as to when an application might be lodged.
Fine Gael Senator Kyne was scarcely able to contain his frustration as he slammed the “abject failure” of the Saolta Hospital Group to progress the vital project.
Galway County Council issues advice on handling of waste bins amid pandemic
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway County Council has issued an advisory to the public on the handling of waste bins during the Covid-19 pandemic.
It says the advice aims to reduce the potential for cross contamination.
It’s asking the public to ensure bins are presented the evening before collection and bin handles to be cleaned with disinfectant before and after presentation.
The local authority also advises that wipes, cloths, gloves and other related items can be placed in the general waste bin.
Dáil hears concerns over access of northern-Ireland fishing vessels to Ros a Mhíl
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Dáil has heard concerns about the limited nature of the access of Northern-Ireland registered fishing vessels to Ros a Mhíl.
The Connemara port was one of five nationwide designated as additional ports for such vessels earlier this month.
However, Galway West Deputy Eamon O’ Cuiv has raised concerns over the ‘restrictive’ access times these fishermen are facing.
He told the Dáil that northern-registered boats are limited to the hours between 10am and 10pm, Monday to Friday.
Fianna Fail Deputy O’ Cuiv argued the necessary staff are present at Ros a Mhíl seven days a week.
Speaking in response, Minister Charlie McConalogue said the situation is being kept under review.
However, he noted that they had to work within the resources and capacity that are available.
For more on this, tune in to FYI Galway@5…