Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

10-man Mervue go out



Date Published: 09-Feb-2010

THE tone was set early in this Umbro FAI Junior Cup tie in Fahy’s Field on Sunday afternoon as 15 seconds had just elapsed when Tommy Walsh won the ball in a crunching challenge and the opening minute had not long gone when Paul Tobin was equally competitive as he too thundered into a challenge for the visitors.

All were fair and so was a much softer one on Stephen Cunningham by goalkeeper Derek Breen on just 5 minutes, but unfortunately this challenge resulted in the young Mervue striker having to depart the fray in an ambulance as a serious leg injury was the outcome from this clash just inside the box.

After a break of more than 40 minutes, matters got worse for the home side for within a minute of the resumption they were down to 10 players as a pumped-up Shane Kelly was maybe harshly issued with a straight red card for certainly a wild, but not intentional, challenge on John Connery.

The general consensus was that a yellow card would have been sufficient for the misdemeanour. To be fair to the home side they never threw in the towel, but the reality was that they were outplayed for the duration as Michael’s played the ball about and certainly had more flair and ability than the home side. Allowing for the fact that this is not the best team in the club, it was a little alarming at the difference in ability between the two sides.

From the back the Tipperary side – who included three Irish Junior international players – were able and willing to go through the channels and throughout the park they had game breakers, while in contrast Mervue just didn’t have the cohesion and ability to match them in any department.

However playing with a man less for 83minutes does leave one at a distinct disadvantage and no doubt this, and the early injury, didn’t help their cause.

As a result Mervue’s attacking forays were pretty limited in the opening half, as a long range effort by Dermot Ward was well off target, as was a header by Miko Nolan following a Tommy Walsh delivery. The home defence, which included Liam McKenna in for the injured Robert Connolly, was pretty solid throughout, while the midfielders’ job for the day was just one of hard labour as they spent the majority of time back peddling and covering the mobile runners of the visitors.

For all their possession, the visitors were not exactly overproductive in the finishing stakes and their first effort on goal by David Ryan was easily gathered by David Curran at his near post on 18 minutes.

However there was little he could do as the Tipperary side took the lead just nine minutes later. Paul Tobin provided the

cross from the left and while Eamonn Feeney did well in getting back goal side of his opposite number Tommy Heffernan, he could not avoid being hit with the delivery and there was heartbreak as the ball rolled into the net for an own goal.

The visitors continued to be wasteful as Quinn, Ryan and Connery all failed to finish when further opportunities were presented before the break.

Mervue started the second half with renewed energy and Ward just got to a Feeney cross before ‘keeper Breen, but his flick with the outside of the boot went just outside a post. On the hour mark Breen was extended for the only time when Walsh ran on to a Colie Kelly lay off on the edge of the box, but his cracker was well pushed away by the custodian.

However the reality was that St Michael’s were always the more threatening side and after a few misses they made it 2-0 on 75 minutes when Pat Quinn got on the end of a Jimmy Carr cross and he eventually forced the ball past Curran at the second attempt.

However all the fight had not gone out of the home side and when Rynal Browne latched on to a Kelly knockdown, the substitute’s lob was exquisite from close range and it was competitive again at 2-1.

Any thoughts of a happy ending were dismissed five minutes later, however, when Quinn got on the end of a Ryan pass to notch his second of the game and seal a place in the last 32 against Clonmel Celtic.


Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past



A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.


For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Real Galway flavour to intermediate club hurling battle in Birr



Date Published: 23-Jan-2013


Continue Reading

Archive News

Athenry fail to take chances as they bow out of Junior Cup



Date Published: 29-Jan-2013

Athenry FC 1

Kilbarrack United 2

(After extra time)

For the second year in succession Athenry were done in extra time in the FAI Junior Cup as last season’s beaten finalist’s came from behind to snatch an excellent game in Moanbawn on Sunday afternoon.

On a heavy pitch that was only playable following extensive groundwork by club officials all morning, the home side were by far the better side in the opening half, but failed to take advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

An Alan O’Donovan penalty gave them a merited advantage just after the restart, but thereafter were on the back foot as Kilbarrack took over, but for all their pressing, the home rearguard were dealing comfortably with their forays.

However they were struck a body blow just six minutes from time, as big striker Keith Kirwan was left all alone at the far post to head the equaliser and from that point on the Dubliners were the better side.

They started off the extra time in the ascendancy and enjoying all the momentum before striking for a good winning goal on 104 minutes. A strong bench allowed them to make some necessary changes and it was not a facility that was available to Athenry manager Gabriel Glavin.

With Gary Forde and Gary Delaney out through suspension following their sending off against OLBC in the previous round, and Seamie Crowe injured, it left their bench rather threadbare with just a number of young squad players available.

Playing with the aid of the slight incline and any wind advantage going, the home side had a Connor Cannon effort on target in the opening minute, while John Meleady was just over with a flick at the other end.

Meleady then tested Andrew Walsh who saved comfortably, before the goalkeeper pulled off a brilliant double save on 14 minutes.

Firstly he went full length to push away a Meleady shot and was then back on his feet to parry David Jackson’s close-range rebound.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads