Nature gem of local area is now scarred by louts who use bog as a landfill dump

Local farmer and publican, Gerry Delaney, points to one of the many locations in Abbey Bog that have been scarred by illegal dumping. PHOTOs: JOHNNY RYAN PHOTOGRAPHY.
Local farmer and publican, Gerry Delaney, points to one of the many locations in Abbey Bog that have been scarred by illegal dumping. PHOTOs: JOHNNY RYAN PHOTOGRAPHY.

A DUMPING epidemic over the winter period has blighted a North Galway village with mounds of litter now building up along the roadways of bogs in the Abbeyknockmoy area.

Villagers held a meeting last week in an effort to try and put measures in place to thwart the litter louts who at this stage have tons of rubbish – mostly of household origin – scattered along the bog walkways.

Although there have been a number of successful prosecution over the years for illegal dumping at the bog, local people feel very strongly that a conviction and a ‘token’ €100 fine is simply not a deterrent.

Local man, Frank Boyle, who addressed a meeting on the issue last week in Mannion’s Bar, told the gathering of the appalling state of the bog to ongoing dumping in the bog over recent months.

He said that he was a regular walker through the bog –  a fantastic natural amenity – that was now being destroyed by the spate of illegal dumping being carried out there.

Now a ‘walk in the bog’ event is to be held there on the Sunday morning of February 26 (12.30) to help increase local awareness of the dumping problem.

Dead animals as well as large household goods such as huge American style fridge-freezers, have been dumped in the bog over the Winter while the dumpers have now taken to emptying containers on the roadways.

Local councillor Pete Roche described the situation as ‘scandalous’ with probably a small number of persistent individuals at the root of the problem.

“Abbey Bog is a wonderful natural amenity for the people of the area, providing them with a winter fuel supply, while it is also a nature reserve for wildlife and bio-diversity.

What is happening down there is a crying shame,” said Cllr. Roche. Following the ‘walk in the bog’ morning, a public meeting will also be held in the Abbeyknockmoy Community Centre on Monday night, March 6 (8.30) to draw up an action plan to try and combat the ‘dirty brigade’ who continue to dump in the bog.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.