The death of a woman staying at an Oughterard hotel has sent shockwaves through the community – as authorities try to establish a cause for her untimely passing.
On Monday morning last, at approximately 11.30am, Gardaí were called to the Connemara Lake Hotel where they found the body of a 64-year-old woman.
The woman, who has not yet been named, is believed to have been from Co Cork and was visiting Oughterard as part of a walking group.
She is said to have been a fairly regular visitor to Oughterard and had walked the banks of Lough Corrib on many occasions.
Her body was later removed to University Hospital Galway for a full post mortem while Gardaí preserved the scene pending a technical examination.
Two other guests who had been staying at the hotel reported as feeling unwell and were taken to UHG where tests were carried out before they were later discharged.
All other guests at the fifteen-bedroom hotel were evacuated at around 7pm on Monday evening.
Fire crews were the first to examine the scene amid fears that the woman’s death may have been caused by Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
The Health and Safety Authority (HSA) has been notified and, alongside Gardaí, will carry out a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the woman’s death.
A post mortem was carried out on Tuesday and Gardaí have said the results of that will determine the rest of their investigation.
Gardaí in Salthill confirmed that the hotel remains closed and that investigations will continue to establish how this tragic loss of life occurred.
“The hotel will remain closed while the HSA carries out its investigation; the post mortem was carried out on Tuesday.
“It has not been released and we are awaiting the results of toxicology so that could take some time,” a spokesperson for Salthill Gardaí told the Connacht Tribune.
See full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune.