Gardaí have warned this week of the potentially ‘catastrophic consequences’ of illegal drug use following the hospitalisation of two NUI Galway students on Wednesday after they had ingested an hallucinatory substance.
Both students – two males aged 18 and 19 years – were rushed to University Hospital Galway on Wednesday evening after being found in a distressed state at separate locations in the College campus area.
The alarm was raised, with NUI Galway activating what they describe as their ‘emergency response protocol’ with the ambulance service, Gardai, and security staff at the College all involved in getting the two students to hospital.
The students were understood to be making a good recovery yesterday following medical treatment at UHG, but this week Gardai made a strong appeal for all students – and indeed young people in general – not to be dabbling in illegal substances.
Sergeant Peter Conlon of Galway Garda Station, said that while thankfully, both students were making a good recovery, these were incidents that should act as a warning for the future.
“We are issuing the strongest possible appeal to everyone not to dabble in illegal substances. You simply do not know what you are ingesting into your body – the results can be potentially catastrophic.”
The alarm was raised last Wednesday evening at around 5pm when an 18-year-old youth was noticed in a distressed and confused state at an apartment in Corrib Village – the on-campus student accommodation complex.
About an hour later – around 6pm – the emergency services received a second call in relation to another student in the outdoor campus area who was also in a distressed and disorientated state.
The emergency services also brought this man to UHG for assessment and treatment – he is also understood to have made a good recovery and has been released from hospital.
To read the rest of this article, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. Buy a digital edition of this week’s paper here, or download the app for Android or iPhone.